random image

Public Works Department

Parent Page Departments
Navigation Departments
Department Public Works
Public Works Department

Reno County Public Works is Responsible for the Following:

  • Road and Bridge Division - Maintain the county asphalt roads and ditches, maintain and install county crossroad pipes; maintain and construct county and township bridges; maintain and install county road and bridge signs; issue required permits for public utility work and construction in the county right-of-way; i.e., entrance permits, buried utilities permits, haying permits and oversize/overweight permits
  • Planning and Zoning Division - Administer the county planning, zoning and subdivision regulations, addressing and manage the floodplain regulations
  • Utility Division - Operate and maintain 5 sewer districts and 2 water districts
  • Noxious Weed Division - Control noxious weeds within the county road right-of-ways and sell chemicals at a discount rate to agricultural producers
  • Public Works is also the official office for filing of survey records.
  • Public Works maintains all of its' own facilities.
  • Environmental- Covers private well permitting, private wastewater system permitting and environmental complaints. 
    • Environmental has moved to the Public Works Department at 600 Scott Boulevard, South Hutchinson, KS, and is no longer located at the Health Department at 209 W. 2nd Ave., Hutchinson, KS. Please contact Environmental at 620-259-2105. Thank you for your understanding in the transition. 

Planning Commission Meetings can be viewed on our YouTube channel.

Learn more about the Public Works Department below.

Hours of Operation

  • Monday - Thursday
  • 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
  • **By Appointment Only**
  • Monday - Friday
  • 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
  • Planning & Zoning is closed daily for lunch 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
  • Monday - Thursday
  • 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
  • Friday
  • By Appointment Only


Contact the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

If you live in the City of Hutchinson, please contact the City Offices at 620-694-1900. If you live outside the Hutchinson City Limits, please contact your choice of refuse service found in the Yellow-Pages or via the internet.

Please contact the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

The County does not survey private property. Please contact a Licensed Surveyor of your choice.

Contact the Reno County Clerk's Office at 620-694-2954 for a current list of Township Officials.

Any registered land surveyor licensed in the state of Kansas can survey your property. Engineering companies often times have a licensed surveyor on staff. Surveyors and engineers can be found in the phone book. Reno County does not make recommendations on who you should hire to survey your property.

Please contact your Township Officials. For a list of your Township Officials contact the Reno County Clerk's Office at 620-694-2935.

An entrance application and entrance policy are located under the Public Works Department > Permits & Applications or contact the Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

Please contact your Township Officials.For a list of your Township Officials contact the Reno County Clerk's Office at 620-694-2935.

Contact the Environmental Division of the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-259-2105 or [email protected].


Meet Our Staff

Don Brittain


Contact Us


Public Works Office


600 Scott Boulevard South Hutchinson, KS 67505