Frequently Asked Questions


WIC is a food and nutrition program that helps families. At no cost WIC provides:

  • Health food for members of the family on WIC
  • Nutrition advice to help you choose the right foods
  • Ideas on how to stretch your food dollar
  • Referrals to services your family might use like immunizations and well child check-ups

WIC stands for "Women, Infants, and Children." It is government funding meant to stretch your money, get nutritious food for you and your family, and give your children a head start on good health.

When someone qualifies for WIC, they get vouchers that can be used at WIC grocery stores. Each voucher has certain kinds of foods that are needed for good health. WIC can provide:

  • Milk
  • Juice
  • Cheese
  • Dried Beans
  • Infant Formula
  • Eggs
  • Cereal
  • Peanut Butter
  • Infant Cereal
  • Carrots
  • Tuna

These foods are good sources of important nutrients such as protein, iron, calcium and vitamin C. WIC does not supply all the foods your family will need. The money you save by using WIC vouchers can be used to add even more healthy foods to your family meals.

WIC helps families who have special needs for healthy foods. You or your family members may qualify if:

  • You are pregnant
  • You are breastfeeding a child under one year of age
  • Have had a baby in the last six months
  • Have a infant or a child under five years of age

Sheriff's Department

Sheriff's Office only fingerprints for Conceal Carry. All other License or fingerprint needs will be through Hutchinson Police Department.

Non-Emergency Dispatch number is 620-694-2800.

The Reno County Correction Facility phone number is 620-694-2741. Follow the prompts to get you where you need regarding inmates or Correctional Care needs.

Sheriff - Delinquent Personal Property Taxes

No partial payments will be accepted. The amount of the delinquent personal property tax needs to be paid in full. For personal property, if the first half is not paid by December 20th, the full amount becomes due plus monthly interest and fees.

If you moved and have not given the Reno County Treasurer's Office your change of address that may have caused you not to receive your tax statement. You will need to contact the Reno County Treasurer's Office at 620-694-2938.

If you still have questions, call 620-694-2726.

You can pay by cash, check, credit card, debit card, or money order payable to the Reno County Sheriffs Office. If paying in cash at the Reno County Sheriffs Office please bring the exact change of your tax warrant. Make checks payable to Reno County Sheriff.

The Sheriff�s Office accepts the following credit cards: VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card. Should you choose to use any of the above credit cards, there will be a convenience fee of approximately 2.50% charge based on the amount of tax.

You will need to contact the Reno County Treasurer's Office at 620-694-2938.

Contact the Reno County Appraiser's Office at 620-694-2920. They are the only ones who can take you off the tax rolls. You will need to bring proof of sale or information concerning disposal.

Contact the Reno County Appraiser's Office at 620-694-2920.

Delinquent personal property tax collection becomes the responsibility of the sheriff each year when the Reno County treasurer publishes and delivers the Tax Warrants to the sheriff. While the sheriff maintains ultimate responsibility, he appoints a tax deputy to manage this program.

Reporting to the sergeant of civil process, the deputy is assisted by the civil process clerk. Responsibilities of the tax deputy include door-to-door tax collection, seizing property in lieu of cash, and arranging sales to satisfy tax debts. Generally, this collection begins in mid-to-late February and continues through September, ending on the first of October.

Collection involves only the current delinquent year. Periods outside the current delinquent year remain the responsibility of the Reno County Treasurer. Example: 2012 delinquent personal property taxes are collected between February and October 2013 by the Reno County Sheriff. The Reno County treasurer collects all other delinquent taxes during this time.

Vehicles (non-highway, salvage, trucks tagged 16m or higher, ect.), mobile homes not on a foundation, buildings (RV'S) on leased ground, boats, ATVs, golf carts, trailers, oil, and gas royalties; property not included on real estate tax rolls.

You can pay your delinquent tax by United States mail or visit the Reno County Courthouse:
206 W. First
Hutchinson, KS 67501

Our Civil Process office is located on the second floor (mezzanine / balcony). We are open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you mail your payment please include the tax warrant number so we can apply your payment to the correct person or business.

Interest and fees (warrant, advertising) have been added to your delinquent tax bill.

No. You will be unable to renew your vehicle tags or title a new vehicle until your delinquent personal property taxes are paid in full.

Reno County

Visit the Staff Directory to find all department and staff contact information.

Register of Deeds Office

In most legal proceedings, the only legally acceptable evidence of title is that which is found in the public record as maintained in the office of the register of deeds. The individual's private interest in land is secure only if the public record is complete, properly managed, and accessible when needed.

It must be recognized, however, that the public record cannot help the property owner who fails to place the necessary papers in the record at the proper time. Documents must be recorded, filed, and indexed before they can serve their intended role.

Yes. This can be done in the same way you can locate your deed.

No. Professional title examiners or abstractors use the records in our office, as well as searching records in other offices to determine if the title is good and clear.

A deed should be recorded as promptly after the transaction as possible. Failure to record a deed could render the transfer or mortgaging of the property impossible and create numerous legal difficulties. Although there is no time limit on recording deeds, it should be done as promptly as possible.

The easiest way to locate your deed or mortgage is to provide the register of deeds with the legal description of your property. If you do not know this, we can usually find this information for you by your address. The deed can then be copied for a fee of $1 per page. A certified copy can be made for $1 per page for the copy work and $1 per document for the certification.

The earliest records in the Register of Deeds Office, written in elaborate manuscript, date back to 1872. Among the early records are the Final Receipts and Patents Deeds recorded when land was bought from the United States Government that are signed by the president of the United States.

After indexing, putting data in the computer, proof-reading, and scanning, the documents are sorted and envelopes addressed and they are ready to be put in the mail the following day after the document is received.

Yes, you could, but the register of deeds and staff always recommend that you consult an attorney or title company. The Register of Deeds Office is a recording agency and therefore cannot make out deeds or answer those questions that pertain to legal matters.

There are a number of steps that are taken when a document is brought or mailed in to be recorded before it is mailed back to the concerned party. The document is first examined for obvious errors and recordability and the correct fee for recording is ascertained. Then the filing stamp is placed on the document that contains the time, date, and amount of filing fee.

If the document is a mortgage, a mortgage stamp is affixed giving the amount of indebtedness and the mortgage tax on that indebtedness. Then a book and page is placed on the document. It is then indexed in the proper land record and then the information is put in the computer. Each morning, the preceding day's recording is scanned for the permanent record.

The recording fees are set by law, which is now $8 for the first page plus $4 for each additional page. Before a mortgage is recorded, a mortgage registration fee of $.26 per $100 of indebtedness is required to be paid. A release or assignment of mortgage is $7 plus $2 each additional. Plats of new additions to the city or county are $20.

The primary evidence of ownership of land is not so much the deed itself as the recording of the deed. Once recorded, the original deed is returned to the new owner who usually deposits it in a safe place with his or her important papers. If the property is mortgaged at the time of sale, the original recorded deed is returned to the mortgage company who in turn gives it to the owner when the mortgage is satisfied.

If your deed is misplaced or lost, a copy may be obtained from the Register of Deeds Office and certified with its official stamp. The copy may then be kept among the buyer's personal records.

The deed is an instrument by which the buyer obtains title to the piece of property being sold. A deed comes in many forms. The most common source of passing title is called a warranty deed. The seller warrants that he has a good and clear title and guarantees that his predecessors have no interest in the title.

There is also a quit-claim deed. This is used to obtain a release from a person who is believed to have some interest in or claim to the property. By this form of deed, the grantor "quits" any claim he might have.

Many times the owner of property may owe money to various creditors. The lien allows the creditors a means of preventing the property from being either sold or mortgaged until the debt is paid.

There are many types of liens filed in the Register of Deeds Office: Internal Revenue and State Tax liens (for non-payment of taxes), and mechanics liens (for labor and material furnished in repair of personal property). However, a mechanic lien on real estate is filed with the clerk of the district court.

The Register of Deeds Office is a place where all transactions having to do with land (including most liens and mortgages) are recorded and maintained so that the public is made aware of their existence. This is also a place where financing statements and security agreements are filed on personal property under the Uniform Commercial Code.

The Uniform Commercial Code, more commonly known as UCC, became effective in Kansas in 1966. As the name implies, it is a code developed for uniform filing on personal property throughout the United States. Like all uniform attempts, fees, and other things are different, but the basic concepts of security regulations are more uniform.

The filing of a UCC is what perfects or secures the loan on consumer goods or personal property. The filing fee is $15 for the first 10 pages and $1 for each additional page.

Besides deeds, mortgages, and liens, there are oil and gas leases and other documents having to do with these leases, plats of additions, and subdivisions to the cities of Reno County, easements, restrictive covenants, county school records, military discharges, powers of attorney, corporate records, releases and assignments, and many other miscellaneous documents.

The office is located on the first floor of the Reno County Courthouse at 206 West First Avenue in Hutchinson, Kansas.

The office staff of the Register of Deeds Office will be more than happy to answer whatever questions you may have. It is better if you personally visit the office. However, if you cannot do that, you may obtain certain information over the phone. Since there are certain kinds of information that can only be answered by an attorney, it would not be feasible to have the information given to you by one who is not an attorney.

Basically, the Register of Deeds Office is a recording agency only, and therefore the information it gives out is limited to that which is contained in the records. If you wish to call, the number is 620-694-2942.

The Register of Deeds Office is open to the general public during the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

The registrar of deeds is an elected official for a four-year term who makes certain that the documents are recorded properly according to the laws of the state and maintains and preserves those records.

The Register of Deeds Office is administered by a person called the registrar of deeds, who in turn has a chief deputy and a staff of persons that perform various duties.

Public Works

Please contact the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

Please contact your Township Officials.For a list of your Township Officials contact the Reno County Clerk's Office at 620-694-2935.

Please contact your Township Officials. For a list of your Township Officials contact the Reno County Clerk's Office at 620-694-2935.

Contact the Reno County Clerk's Office at 620-694-2954 for a current list of Township Officials.

An entrance application and entrance policy are located under the Public Works Department > Permits & Applications or contact the Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

Contact the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

If you live in the City of Hutchinson, please contact the City Offices at 620-694-1900. If you live outside the Hutchinson City Limits, please contact your choice of refuse service found in the Yellow-Pages or via the internet.

Contact the Environmental Division of the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-259-2105 or [email protected].

Any registered land surveyor licensed in the state of Kansas can survey your property. Engineering companies often times have a licensed surveyor on staff. Surveyors and engineers can be found in the phone book. Reno County does not make recommendations on who you should hire to survey your property.

The County does not survey private property. Please contact a Licensed Surveyor of your choice.


The Household Hazardous Waste Facility is open to all Reno County citizens not businesses. Hazardous waste includes:

  • Antifreeze
  • Chemicals (Household)
  • Paint (Oil-based and latex paint)
  • Used oil (Businesses can bring this out along with antifreeze only)

ALL Household Hazardous Waste may not exceed 10 gallons at a time and be in 5 gallon containers or less.

To obtain a Special Waste Permit Application, please call Tony Guy with KDHE at 785-296-1600 or call the Reno County Landfill at 620-694-2586.

All vehicles must weigh in at the scale. You will be given directions from there where to take your items.

The compost is not give-away material as we use it for cover for establishing the grass slopes.

The landfill no longer has a E-Waste program but we will still accept electronics at the landfill.

  • Computermart - Currently accepting computer electronics. Computermart is at: 325 W 2nd Ave. Hutchinson, KS 67501 Ph: 620-663-2598

There is no charge for Reno County residents to bring trash to the landfill.

E-Waste consists of discarded electronic devices or components. This term is commonly used to describe computer electronics: computer monitors, keyboards, CPUs, etc. Other household and business electronics may be classified as E-Waste also.

These are separate locations for all vehicles. Items include:

  • Appliances/Metal
    • Refrigerators, microwaves, dryers, washers,all metal products
  • Brush
    • Anything under 24inches in diameter and under 15ft long on tree stumps, (NO household trash or home lumber allowed)
  • Compost
    • Absolutely NO trash in compost! ( Acceptable waste is Grass clippings,Leaves)
  • Construction and Demolition
    • Fencing, treated and untreated wood, roofing, wood shake shingles, siding, asphalt, windows, house demolitions/remodels, tile, concrete (we also have a concrete pile for clean concrete only), stumps over 24inches in diameter, NOT accepted in Demo: NO household trash, cups, pop bottles, tar buckets, caulking tubes, paint cans, tires
  • Municipal Solid Waste (Trash)
  • All household trash, toys, tv's, furniture
  • Tires (no tires over 23.5 will be accepted at this time)

Businesses will be charged per ton for tires, special waste, and construction and demolition items. Click here for user fees.

Information Services

Information (Computer) Services is located in the Courthouse mezzanine 2nd floor, accessible from the ground floor.

Human Resources

No, you must complete an online application to be considered for any position. However, you may contact Human Resources at 620-694-2982 to discuss other options if there is a valid reason why you are unable to complete an online application.

Home Health Services

  • Reduced (Sliding Scale) fees available, based on income, for most services.
  • Services are provided to all persons who meet eligibility regardless of race, color, age, national origin, religion or handicap

Older Adult Health services provide assistance to individuals in their own home with stable health conditions. This service promotes independence and enables a person to remain in his or her own home as long as it is reasonably safe to do so. Care is provided by registered nurses and certified home health aides.

  • Nursing visits
  • Personal care
  • Bathing / dressing
  • Monitoring of vital signs
  • Foot care (some restrictions may apply)
  • Shampoo / set

When personal care assistance is needed to complete activities of daily living such as:

  • Post-hospitalization of acute illness or surgery
  • Chronic health problems for people of all ages
  • Managing care of a convalescent person

Older Adult Health services are provided Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Anyone may refer an individual to the Older Adult Health program. Services are provided only with physician orders when desired by client.

Any resident of Reno County with these qualifications:

  • Under the care of a physician
  • Living in a dwelling that is adequate for safe and effective care
  • Over the age of 60 and in need of assistance with personal care

Health Department

Head lice are very small bugs called parasites that can infest the hair on the human head. Head lice are spread through direct contact with anyone who has head lice or by indirect contact such as the sharing of personal items contaminated with lice or their eggs. View head lice information online.

The symptoms of head lice are itching of the head and the back of the neck, possible swelling in the lymph glands of the neck and/or in the armpit area, and in more severe cases, muscle aches or fever may occur. Upon observation, oval shaped white, gray, or light brown colored nits may be seen attached to the individual hairs close to the hair shaft. There should be no confusing them with dandruff since they cannot be easily removed. There may be scratch marks or open sores seen on the scalp.

The actual lice are very tiny and may be seen as black or rust colored dots that cling to the base of the hairs. Use of a magnifying glass makes them easier to see.


Find out on the District Court's page under the Jury Information section.

The Board of County Commissioners typically hold meetings every week. View the Calendar for dates and times of upcoming meetings. You may also watch meetings by visiting the Meeting Video page.

For questions and concerns regarding your court hearings and case information, please visit the District Court page.

Vehicle tags, property taxes, and real estate taxes are handled by our Treasurer's Office. View the Treasurer's Office page for current contact information.

Emergency Management

You can't start a fire 1 hour before sunrise or 2 hours before sunset

Wind speeds must be 15 miles per hour or less including gusts

Grassland fire danger index cannot be in the Very High or Extreme category

District Court Record Request

You can view the Kansas District Court records at . Reno County records go back to April 2003.

Cases can be accessed by party name or by case number. Contact Reno County District Court at 620-694-2956 for any questions.

All record search requests require an upfront fee for the request. Provide case number for prompt service.

Criminal records go back to 1992, and civil records go back to 1992. Payments go back to April 2003. Contact the Reno County District Courts for any questions.

  • Record Request - $12 per hour
  • Copies - $ .25 per page
  • Certifications - $1 per certification

Requests for cases that have been stored in underground vaults and storage are $25.

8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

For civil, domestic, probate, traffic, limited action, small claims, some juvenile and criminal cases, the following information is available on the public access terminals:

  • Party names
  • Case filings
  • Document filings
  • Court payments
  • Criminal charges
  • Court dates

The terminal is located on the third floor of the District Court Clerk's office.

Send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

  • Clerk of the District Court
  • Attn: Records206 W 1st AveHutchinson KS 67501

Community Corrections

Payments to Community Corrections are accepted by money order or in-person card payments with an ID. Cash, personal checks, online, and over the phone payments are not accepted. Supervision fees are a separate expense and are not included in any court fines or restitution that you may owe.

You should always make contact with your ISO before the scheduled appointment time. Contact efforts made after the scheduled appointment time may and often do lead to a violation status. If an appointment is missed, report as soon as you can for further instruction.

Leave a message with your name and return phone number and a brief message about what you need. Leaving a message is not considered reporting as directed and you must make contact with your ISO still. Try back every couple of hours until you reach your ISO unless you are given other instructions.

Court costs are assigned by the courts and can include a variety of charges. Some of these charges include fines, restitution, KBI lab fees and court appointed attorney costs. Costs associated with Community Corrections are supervision fees and they are a separate expense acquired by the offender. Unpaid fees at the time of termination are sent to collections. You can get off Community Corrections supervision and still owe fees.


Please see the Commissioners Policy on Commission Meeting (PDF) for information and the Agenda Item Request Form.

Call 620-694-2929 if you need additional assistance.

The commissioners meet on the 2nd, 4th and 5th Wednesdays at 9 a.m.

The meetings take place in the Veterans Room in the basement of the courthouse.


The Reno County Clerk's Office will be happy to answer any questions you have including the eligibility guidelines and where to file for your Homestead Tax Refund.

  • you are over age 55 as of January 1 of the year you are filing for
  • were permanently disabled or blind by Social Security for the entire year you are filing for
  • had dependent children under age 18 living with you for the year you are filing for, you may qualify for this refund

Your total household income must be under $34,450 for a homestead refund. Another requirement for a Homestead refund is that you are the homeowner and the home was on the tax rolls for the entire filing year. NOT AVAILABLE TO RENTERS. Your claim for a refund must be made by April 15 each year.

Call the Kansas Department of Vital Statistics at 785-296-1400 or visit their website at

You need to talk to the Clerk of the District Court at 620-694-2956. This is not a function of the Reno County Clerk's Office.

You can request a property record card from the appraiser's office (620-694-2915).

This is not a function of the Clerk's Office. See The Homeowner's Guide to Property Tax in Kansas in the FAQ section of the Appraiser's page.

You need to bring a bill of sale and the previous owner's registration
to the Appraiser's Office. It is important to remember that those under
the age of 16 must now attend a training course before operating a jet
ski. For additional information contact the Kansas Department of
Wildlife and Parks at 316-683-8069 or visit their website.

There may be special permits or licenses necessary for your business. In general, all businesses should check the zoning in their area. In addition, it is important to file a personal property rendition with the County Appraiser's Office for all business-related property. Sales Tax questions should be directed to the Kansas Department of Revenue at 877-526-7738 or the Quest Center 1 East 9th, Hutchinson 665-8468.

Total household income which includes all taxable and nontaxable income received by all household members and includes Social Security. You also need a copy of your tax statement, a photo ID and birth dates for all dependents.

Wildlife and Parks or various vendors:

  • All Dillons Stores
  • Cheney State Park
  • Heartland Outdoors
  • Kmart
  • Orscheln Farm and Home
  • Shooters Supply and Tackle
  • Snyder Marine
  • Wal-Mart

Anyone over 16 years of age needs to obtain a Kansas fishing license. Kansans over 75 can use their Kansas issued driver's license. A camping permit can be obtained from the Reno County Treasurer's Office at the time you renew your vehicle.

Those born after July 1, 1957 must attend a Hunter Safety course provided by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. More information can be obtained by calling 316-683-8069.

Documents are filed in either the Register of Deeds Office or the District Court Clerk's Office.

All road-crossing permits can be picked up at the Public Works Office located at 600 Scott Blvd. in South Hutchinson.

  • Reno County Courthouse, 125 W. 1st Ave., Hutchinson
  • Hutchinson Public Library, 901 N. Main St., Hutchinson
  • Driver's License Office, 125 W. 2nd Ave., Suite A, Hutchinson
  • The following city offices during regular business hours:
    • Abbyville
    • Arlington
    • Buhler
    • Haven
    • Hutchinson
    • Langdon
    • Nickerson
    • Partridge
    • Plevna
    • Pretty Prairie
    • South Hutchinson
    • Sylvia
    • Turon

Health Wellness Physical Activity

BMI (Body Mass Index) is a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems but it is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.

There are many different things that you can do to get active. The important part is to move! Please bear in mind that you don't have to do all of it at one time. Even 10 minute bouts of exercise, three times throughout the day add up. Another thing to remember, a little bit is better than nothing. There are different ideas about how to get more physical activity and what counts. For more information, click on the topic below that you would like to find out more about:

Planning and Zoning

Reno County does not enforce or implement building codes. Reno County suggests all construction be built to the latest building code standard, but there are no inspections required for HVAC, concrete, or any other building code related inspection.

The Planning Commission meetings are streamed live and on-demand via our YouTube page here-

Please contact the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

Contact the Reno County Road and Bridge Dept. at 620-694-2976

A citizen can learn about all of the functions the planning department handles and the role of a planning commissioner member by contacting the county planner. All appointments to the planning commission are handled through the Board of County Commissioners. Contact your county commissioner if you are interested in serving. Planning Commission members are eligible to serve three 3-year terms.

Yes. There may be other required permits that must be obtained. Such permits may include a floodplain development permit, an entrance permit, or septic system and well permits.

Contact the Reno County Planning Department. Reno County will not disclose floodplain information over the phone for legal reasons. The Planning Department will provide a map showing the current floodplain designation on the property. A citizen may schedule an appointment to view the floodplain map or visit the FEMA website to view the actual floodplain map. The Planning Department will only disclose the floodplain of a property when in conjunction with issuing a zoning permit. Be prepared to provide the address of the property and/or the section, section, township, and range of the location if you are requesting a copy of the floodplain map.

Need to make application to the County Planning Department to determine if the proposed improvement/s are in compliance with the land development regulations and complete the water / wastewater form from the health department to determine if the location interferes with the waste water system or well. Please call and/or schedule an appointment with the County Planner to ensure that he is available to help you.

Visit Parcel Information to view the county zoning map. The County Zoning map is a general depiction of the various zoning districts within the county. Contact the Planning Department for detailed information or a zoning determination.

Any structure 120 square feet or less does not require a zoning permit. However, any size structure located in a floodplain requires a floodplain development permit even if a zoning permit is not required.

Any man-made change to your property within a floodplain will require a floodplain development permit from the planning department. Any size structure, dirt work, channel changes, channel improvements, some septic systems all require a local floodplain permit and may require a state permit and/or a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Contact John Roth at the Kansas Department of Agriculture � Division of Water Resources (DWR) at 620-234-5311 or [email protected] for more information on non-structural floodplain permits and procedures. The state floodplain development permit will be required to be issued before the local permit is issued. Written notice from DWR will be required if it is determined no state permit is required for a project.

An entrance application and entrance policy are located under the Reno County Public Works Department / Policies and Permit Applications or contact the Public Works Department at 620-694-2976.

Contact the Environmental Division of the Reno County Public Works Department at 620-259-2105 or [email protected].

Contact the Planning Department. Addresses are not assigned to vacant property until a zoning permit is issued for a structure. The Planning Department does not assign zip codes. This is the responsibility of the U.S. Post Office. These boundaries may shift over time so when setting up mail service contact your nearest post office.

Any registered land surveyor licensed in the state of Kansas can survey your property. Engineering companies often times have a licensed surveyor on staff. Surveyors and engineers can be found in the phone book. Reno County does not make recommendations on who you should hire to survey your property.

The County does not survey private property. Please contact a Licensed Surveyor of your choice.

Sheriff Sales Foreclosures

After the sale, the following events occur prior to the issuance of a Sheriff's Deed:

  1. After the sale, the attorney of record with the clerk of the district court files a Return of Service on the Order of Sale.
  2. The clerk of the district court will give a receipt to the winning bidder.
  3. An order confirming the sale will be generated, usually by the plaintiff's attorney and signed by a judge. The orders may contain a redemption period that is generally 90 days in length (although longer and shorter periods of time may be specified by the court). Redemption rights can also be extinguished altogether upon order of the court.
  4. Following the receipt of the order confirming the sale, the sheriff's office will sign a Certificate of Purchase, which states the name, the length of the redemption period (if any), and the amount bid by the winning bidder. These documents will be sent to the plaintiff's attorney unless the winning bidder is a third party, in which case the Certificate of Purchase will be given directly to them.
  5. At the end of the redemption period, the attorney of record will send the deed to the Reno County Sheriff's Office or the individual.
  6. Following the receipt of the original copy of the Certificate of Purchase by the sheriff's office, a Sheriff's Deed will be signed and given / mailed to the winning bidder.

No. The sheriff's office has no control over the foreclosed properties. We don't know what condition the property is in or how long or if it is vacant.

Sheriff Mortgage Foreclosure Sales are subject to change on a day-to-day basis and we are not able to respond to individual inquiries regarding list of properties for sale. See Sheriff's Sales - Foreclosures for more information. Persons interested in bidding on items being sold should refer to the Reno County papers of record, The Hutchinson News, and the Turon Record.

The sheriff's office has no prior knowledge of how much a property's opening bid will be. The sheriff's office receives the opening bid at the time of auction.

The bids are based on how much the person owes, not on how much the property is worth.

The full bid amount for a sale item must be paid in cash, certified check, or money order on the day of the sale. The money will be paid to the clerk of the district court's office. You will be given a receipt for the cash, certified check, or money order.

There will be no Sheriff's Deed issued for the property and the clerk of the district court will refund the money paid on the date of the sale. Redemption periods are generally 90 days unless extinguished by the court.

The case caption, district court case number, name of the attorney for the plaintiff issuing the order of sale, and the legal description of the property.

The Reno County Sheriff's Office conducts sales of real estate under court order. Mortgage Foreclosure Sales are held each Tuesday (except holidays) at 10 a.m. in the Reno County Courthouse, 206 West First, Hutchinson, Kansas 67501. The sale is held inside of the Courthouse, past the security desk.

If the street address is not listed on the published order, the sheriff's office will not have it. Instead, interested parties should contact the county clerk's office to obtain such information. Information can be viewed in the open court file, which is available through the clerk of the district court.

Tags and Taxes Common Tag Guidelines

Yes, you will be charged a 2.5% transaction fee.

When an error has been made on a title, please do not attempt to correct the mistake. Bring the title to our office and we have proper documentation to correct most mistakes.

Yes and no. If the back of the title is completed properly, no you will not need a Bill of Sale. If the sale date, price or signatures are incorrect, you will need additional paperwork.

Yes. Unless it is specialty vehicle.

Yes. Either insurance on the trailer or insurance on the pulling vehicle.

Yes, always. We cannot register or renew a vehicle without proof of current insurance.

The vehicle must be 35 years old and the drive train, transmission, engine, body, wheels and tires and frame are all original.

Once for individual to individual sales. Other rules apply for licensed dealerships.

You can find a copy of your renewal notice. Enter your tag number and you can print a copy.

For a temporary tag, we will need the title, current proof of insurance for the new vehicle and your current Driver's License.

If you received the notice from the state, bring in that paper and proof of current insurance. If you did not receive the state notice, you can bring in last years registration notice or give us your tag numbers and current insurance.

Title, Current Insurance, Current Driver's License, Sales Tax Receipt, Inspection slip for an out of state title and any paperwork you received from a dealership. Please leave dealership paperwork attached.